Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Never Red

I have a conundrum.  I don’t think I’ve ever supported a team that wears red.  In fact, due to my allegiances, I actively oppose teams who wear red.

Growing up a Saints fan in New Orleans, the Falcons have always been the enemy.  Once I became a student, and then an alumnus of Georgia Tech, I came to detest the red and black of U[sic]GA.  Now, as a Tottenham Hotspur supporter, I cannot see myself wearing the color of Arsenal.

This Sunday, Atlanta United FC will be playing their first regular season home game, and I will be there.  Unfortunately, AUFC (hereafter referred to as “Aw, fuck!” as anyone who has ever followed an expansion team will understand) has chosen the abhorrent color scheme used by our nation’s true deplorables: the Falcons and Dawgs.  Yes, “Aw, fuck!” are red and black.

I enjoy watching soccer.  I will follow and support this team.  I already have my season tickets.  But I cannot see myself wearing the franchise colors.  So tell me, good people of the internet, how can I show support for my city’s soccer team without wearing the franchise colors?

I suppose I could buy one of the black, practice jerseys.  They are mostly black, with gold trim, and just a smidgen of red from the “Aw, fuck!” and Adidas logos.  But, ask yourself this: would you wear an all-black jersey to watch an outdoor, summer sport in an unshaded stadium in the Georgia heat?  Until The Benz gets completed we’ll be watching “Aw, fuck!” at Bobby Dodd Stadium at Historic Grant Field on the Georgia Tech campus.  There isn’t a whit of shade in there.  According to the current schedule, “Aw, fuck!” aren’t playing a home game at in the new stadium until July 30th (happy almost birthday to me, I guess).

So, I’m at a loss here, and I need a solution before “Aw, fuck!” host the New York Red Bulls at 7:30 PM Sunday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment